This weekend, I spiked in a feature to the UserDocs Extension to create an SVG file representing a web page.
I started by adding dom-to-svg to the app, and piped through a new menu option that creates an SVG document from the current page.
I tested the feature on a form from my application:
The result was unsatisfactory. I also checked out dom-to-svg’s extension to see if I was misusing the library, and got the same result.
I followed this guide because it boasted some pretty serious size improvements. This approach worked well, with two snags: you can’t collect PDF’s with a visible copy of Chrome running, and by default, the SVG doesn’t have fonts embedded. Inlining all external resources on the page, and sending everything to a background headless Chrome instance would solve both problems. UserDocs could access the background Chrome at any time. Inlining external resources would force them to be embedded in the final SVG. UserDocs doesn’t do this, so it will take another round of development to implement SVG collection.
Note: The icon fonts were not inlined in this example, so you’ll notice that they don’t render properly in the examples below.
I tested this approach on a few sites, to see how it would affect file sizes. Without doing anything special:
- PNG: 1233KB
- PDF: 511KB
- SVG: 1257KB
- Minified SVG: 868KB
- PNG: 877KB
- PDF: 314KB
- SVG: 1069KB
- Minified SVG: 1034KB
I didn’t see such a consistent decrease in file size. I presume that image and text density can affect how converting a page to SVG might affect file size. I presume that more UI-heavy pages will enjoy a better size reduction. I’ll include the sample output from the Microsoft website with this post.